“Clean eating” continues to be a key focus for the consumer and due to their numerous health benefits it is no surprise that humble seeds are rising in popularity. The tiny flaxseed is a strong example, it can be found in all kinds of foods including bread, peanut butter, snack bars, cereals and various yogurt products. This seed offers a unique taste, texture, flavor and nutritional advantages.
The nutritional benefits of flaxseed:
- Omega-3: After seafood, flaxseed oil is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids – which is normally very difficult to find in food.
- Fiber: Soluble & insoluble fibre to support digestion
- Lignans: Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- High in protein: consumers can profit of 20 gram protein per 100 gram flaxseed.
The unique feature of flax is its high omega-3 fatty acid content. The primary omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseeds is called alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA.Omega-3 is crucial for a healthy development in many ways:
- Reducing blood fat (triglycerides) > Omega-3 is said to lower your triglyceride levels and thus the risk for heart diseases.
- Lower Stiffness and joint pain > Omega-3 seems to boost the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs which are used i.e. against rheumatoid arthritis.
- Decrease levels of depression. Cultures that eat foods with high levels of omega-3s seem to have lower levels of depression and less depressive symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- There are many studies currently running that are expected to show the positive long term effects of omega-3 on minimizing asthmatic attacks, reducing risks of Alzheimer's disease and dementia and ADHD.
All these health benefits are one of the reasons the Canadian Flax Council estimates more than 300 new flax-based products per year just in the U.S. and Canada alone as the general consumer demand continues to grow. But also worldwide there has been an increase in new product launches containing flax seeds.
Combining the demand of more flaxseeds with the current trend in convenient dairy snack and breakfast products there are endless combinations when it comes to product development. Consumers also love flaxseeds in dairy due to their crunchiness and texture. It gives them a feeling of satiety and the sensation of something to chew on.
The NPD team at Agrana Fruit has been monitoring this trend across vertical markets and recognizes the value it brings to dairy. We have developed innovative combinations of fruits and flaxseeds for our customers brands and continue to work with this exciting seed.
In regards to new innovative solutions for spoonable & drinkable yogurt AGRANA Fruit is your go-to resource. We offer customized solutions for the dairy industry that include different kind of seeds, cereal and fruit preparation.